Sharing an Experience: How I Differentiate Working Memory and Long Term Memory

Photo by Milad Fakurian on Unsplash 

I know that memory has three types: sensory, working, and long term. When I read about them, I know what they mean, but I have trouble remembering them afterwards. I had trouble remembering the difference between working and long term memory until an experience I had. 

One day I learned about the Standardized Mini-Mental State Examination. It helps predict for dementia, but it is a very old test. I like how it is short and available. When I looked at the questions on the test, I thought about "Why" (learning strategy used is "elaboration") and then I remembered there are different types of memory so I researched about what they are and how they relate to this exam (here, I connected new learning to prior learning, used interleaving, and I've forgot-and-retrieve...all of which helps consolidate learning). 

Please note that SMMSE tests cognitive impairment and is not for testing different types of memory. There are newer cognitive assessments available too (check this out). My personal experience with SMMSE however, helped me differentiate between working memory and long term memory. 

Working memory requires holding and manipulating information for a short while like a few seconds. In SMMSE, question #4 "spell WORLD backwards" requires using working memory (as well as other skills) to hold the word and then figure out how to exchange it in reverse order.

Question #5 is a delayed recall task. Delayed recall could test working memory if the tester is still actively rehearsing the words that need to be recalled. However longer delayed recall like 30minutes later typically requires retrieval of long term memory. 

Please beware though that cognitive tests should not be repeated too frequently or be used as a training tool as there could be a learning effect. If there's a learning effect, the test won't be able to predict dementia anymore. 

After checking out cognitive assessments, I learned more about the complexity of the brain and how we shouldn't take what we could see, hear, or do for granted.

I'm sure there are countless other experiences or examples that helped other people remember the difference between LTM and Working memory too! If interested to find out how to make memories stick, feel free to read this book, "Making it Stick."

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Comments