My Philosophy of Education

from Kenny Eliason unsplash.com 

In the PIDP3100 course, I recently completed a quiz to identify my philosophy of education. 

Before I began I wanted to score high in humanstic and progressive because I believe a learner becomes educated when they can strive and grow in the ever-changing world in a self-directed way, and the humanistic and progressive approach leans more towards enhancing social skills and self development. However, to my surprise I was highest in Behaviorist, and then Progressive, Humanistic, Liberal, and lowest in Radical. I think this is because I have experience with behaviour intervention where I had to be very sensitive to environmental stimuli and provide a lot of feedback and reinforcement. Therefore I understand how Behaviourist methods could help learners achieve competency. I also scored high in Humanistic and Progressive because I believe the adult learner has a lot to bring into the classroom and I like to use cooperative learning strategies in the classroom such as the Grafitti board and KWL charts. Grafitti is an excellent way to check for understanding and promote discussion and you can read more about these two strategies here

I've scored lowest in Radical because I haven't considered bringing up social, political and economic changes in society to my class, but that doesn't mean I don't value it. I believe involving these social issues in adult learning is very beneficial because: (1) it is relevant for the adult learner and the relevance could increase motivation in learning (2) it can facilitate fruitful discussions where learners could learn from each other socially (3) learning from past issues could help learners make informed choices as a citizen and apply the knowledge to their current/future jobs and (4) failure to make preventative and informed choices about social issues could lead to dangerous consequences.

If you are interested in the Education Philosophy quiz, please find it here. It is completely free and there is no right or wrong answer. You may do it more than once and could see your changes over the years. You may also get different results depending on which student group you are thinking of. 



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Comments